SMTL Dressings Datacard



Product Name: Geliperm sheet
Classification Name: Dressing Hydrogel Sheet
Manufacturer: Geistlich Sons Ltd

Description

Geliperm Sheet is a strong, transparent hydrogel, containing 96% water. The remaining 4% consists of agar, a gellable polysaccharide, and polyacrylamide, a cross-linked absorbent polymer of an acryl derivative, which together form a structure of two interwoven molecular networks. The polyacrylamide stabilises the agar, which, on its own, would be unsuitable for use as a dressing because of its low tensile strength. The porosity of the gel is such that it is permeable to water vapour, gases, and small protein molecules, but impermeable to bacteria. Geliperm Sheet provides a moist environment at the surface of the wound in which healing can take place. Provided the dressing is not allowed to dry out, it will not adhere to the underlying tissue upon removal. The dressing is cool and soothing to the touch, and is said to reduce local pain and discomfort in some types of injury.

Indications

Geliperm Sheet may be used in the treatment of wounds involving skin and tissue loss, both chronic and acute in origin. These include donor site and recipient skin grafts, dermabrasions, burns and superficial pressure sores .

The sheet has also been used to prevent the drying-out of exposed bradytrophic tissue (tendon, periosteum, or bone), and in the preparation of sites prior to free skin transplantation. All the Geliperm products may be used to deliver water-soluble topical drugs - such as antimicrobials, local anaesthetics, and haemostatics - to the surface of a wound. As the sheet has a low acoustic impedance, it may be used as a contact medium for pulsed shortwave or ultrasound treatment.

Contra-indications

Geliperm Sheet should not be used as a covering for deep narrow cavities or sinuses or applied to wounds known to be infected.

Method of use

Geliperm Sheet may be placed directly onto the surface of an exuding wound and held in place with tape or a bandage, as appropriate. On awkward areas, an island dressing may be produced, using a dressing retention sheet such as Hypafix or Mefix. If additional absorbency is required, an absorbent pad may be placed immediately over the hydrogel sheet. On dry wounds there is sometimes a possibility that the dressing will dry out. If this occurs, it may be readily rehydrated with sterile water or normal saline, prior to removal. As the Geliperm sheets do not cause tissue maceration, they do not have to be cut to the shape of the wound and may be allowed to overlap onto the surrounding skin.

Frequency of Change

Geliperm should be changed as often as the condition of the wound dictates, but as a general rule, the dressing should be replaced after about 3-4 days, or when it has become cloudy or opaque owing to the absorption of wound exudate. In the treatment of an infected wound, it may be necessary to change the dressing more frequently.

Warnings

A Geliperm dressing should not be applied to a wound that shows evidence of clinical infection, unless the product is first soaked in a solution of an appropriate water-soluble antimicrobial agent.

Presentation

Geliperm Sheet is presented in a plastic tray with a transparent cover, sterilised by ethylene oxide.

Storage

Geliperm Sheet, should be stored in a cool place.

Sizes

100 mm 100 mm

130 mm 120 mm

260 mm 120 mm

Bibliography

1. Wokalek H, et al., First experiences with a transparent liquid gel in the treatment of fresh operation wounds and chronic epithelial defects of the skin, Akt. dermatol., 1979, 5, 3-13.

2. Browne MK, Geliperm - Bacteriology, physical properties and use in wounds, burns and Grafts.

3. Sutherland A, Clinical experience with Geliperm in chronic and acute wounds.

4. Eady RAJ, Geliperm in the treatment of epidermolysis bullosa - a case report.

(Numbers 2-4 above are available from Geistlich Sons Ltd).


Revision Details

Revision AuthorDr S. Thomas
Revision No 1.6
Revision date1997/12/16

This datacard has been prepared from data provided by the manufacturer and/or from published literature.



All materials copyright © 1992-2007 by the Surgical Materials Testing Lab. unless otherwise stated.

| Home | Datacards | Technical Publications | SMTL | World Wide Wounds | Disclaimer |

http://www.dressings.org/Dressings/geliperm.html
Last Modified: Thursday, 28-Mar-2002 10:21:30 GMT